What is a VUCA World? One that is volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous. And corporate leaders need to operate effectively in this new world.
According to the “Global Leadership Forecast 2014-2015,” leaders who can do so are three times more likely to be in the top 20 percent of financial performance.
VUCA is better understood in terms of:
1) anticipating and reacting to the nature and speed of change;
2) acting decisively without always having clear direction and certainty;
3) navigating through complexity, chaos and confusion; and
4) maintaining effectiveness despite constant surprises and unpredictability.
According to Harvard Business Publishing, eight key capabilities can help leaders cope with a complex VUCA world:
1) Managing complexity
2) Managing global business
3) Acting strategically
4) Fostering innovation
5) Leveraging networks
6) Inspiring engagement
7) Cultivating learning agility
8) Developing personal adaptability
“There is a great deal of change coming to the world of education both in traditional higher learning in institutions, but also in lifelong learning in our jobs and across our careers,” wrote Rawn Shah in a recent issue of Forbes magazine.
—More info: www.harvardbusiness.org/leading-now-critical-capabilities-complex-world